Winter is coming and finding efficient heating solutions is imperative. There are a myriad of options, the right one depends on your particular needs. But if you live in a small apartment, have a specially drafty or colder room tor just don’t want to install a full central heating system, electric baseboard heaters are the best option. There are some advantages of installing electric baseboard heaters: they are safe, easy to install, needs little to no maintenance and can cut winter heating cost if are used properly.
Finding the best electric baseboard heaters can be a little overwhelming, because there are so many kinds, prices and sizes. But don’t worry, thinking about making your life easier, we’ve written this user-friendly buying guide. You’ll find which one is the best, which is the most efficient electric baseboard heater and some reviews of other popular models, with their pros & cons. Also, we’ll share some tips about electric baseboard heaters installation and hot water baseboard systems.
Best One Overall
After testing some baseboard heathers, reading reviews and comparing experiences we are completely certain that the Dimplex North America PC6025W31 is the best choice when it comes to electric baseboard heaters.
It’ not only about its built-in thermostat or the possibility of controlling the heater through your phone by an application but it is about the power and reliability. The Dimplex offers a good price and some really nice features, paired with true heating power. Despite its apparently normal size, this heater is a beast than can heat a 500 square feet room by its own.
Most Efficient Electric Baseboard Heater
The Cadet 9954 Baseboard Heaters is the most efficient electric baseboard heater because it has the best value when it comes to price and performance. If you’re looking for a inexpensive but reliable electric baseboard heater, the Cadet 9954 is the best choice: lightweight, quiet, powerful and safe.
Cadet also offers good warranty, excellent custom service and some good options for each need. This model is sturdy, durable, has quality performance; all for a few dollars. It’s the best choice for those who are looking to replace all those old 70’s baseboard heaters of each room without spending an small fortune.
The Best Rated Electric Baseboard Heaters
Cadet 9954 Baseboard Heater
This electric baseboard heater works by convection, circulating hot air through the room. It’s a sturdy and dependable unit that can be comfortably placed anywhere in your home. Proudly made in the USA by one of the most popular brands, the Cadet 9954 is constructed in durable steel.
It dimensions are 4 x 48.3 x 7, it weights just 9 pounds and has a power of 1000 watts. This makes it ideal to warm a room between 100 and 300 square feet. One of the biggest assets of this heater is the price. You’ll get a quality product for an excellent price. It’s one of the most efficient electric baseboard heaters.
– Easy to install.
– Incredibly quiet, because it uses a heated plate instead of a motor
– Lightweight, it’s easy to move
– Safety feature that turns off heater if normal temperatures are exceeded
– Powder coating, resistant to corrosion, fading and wear
– Powerful: can circulate heat to warm a space up to 150 square feet
– Needs an external thermostat
– Not a plug-in model. You’ll need to call for professional installing if you don’t have experience to do it yourself.
Most users and buyers certifies that this electric baseboard heater makes its job: keeps an small bedroom warm ans toasty. Their users says that this is the best quality and efficient baseboard heater you can find for such a little money. However, you must remember that dealing with 240 volt requires to call a licensed electrician o you must take on account the installation cost.
Everybody says that this electric baseboard heater can be installed almost everywhere, not only because isn’t bulky but is pretty, sleek and elegant thanks to it powderer finish. This heater can blend easily in any decorative style.
Fahrenheat PLF1004 Hydronic Baseboard Heater
The Farenheat PLF1004 is a liquid filled electric baseboard heater. It works with a convection technology, cycling oil through the system, and this makes it a really quiet unit. You wouldn’t be bothered for those annoying popping sounds made for older/traditional heaters. It hydronic heat-transfer tube keeps delivering heat even after the unit have been turned off.
This heater operates to 1000 watts, about 3413 BTU, so it’s ideal for rooms of about 18x 18 square feet. Its dimensions are 8 x 3 x 46 inches, pretty standard. However, if you need a smaller unit, you’ll find this same model in a 34 inches version.
– No more dust. This is a fanless heater, with no blower or exhaust, so dust or allergen particles won’t be flying through the room.
– The overheat protection feature shuts the heater off when the air intake is being blocked.
– Safe for children and pets, because thanks to its liquid-element technology is always cool to the touch.
– Won’t freeze in an unheated place in the winter.
– Efficient performance
– Needs to be professionally installed, as is a 240 volt appliance.
– Needs a thermostat
– Makes a faint noise when cooling down, but nothing too overwhelming
– It can be wired to work with whole-home heat syncing, but this make it lose some of its heating efficiency.
– Really heavy, can’t be easily moved.
Buyers opinions about the Farenheat PLF1004 are just amazing. They say that this heater provides reliable and efficient heating. It’ safe to install on tiled or carpeted floor and it can be on a kid bedroom, because its surface barely gets warm, so is safe for curious kids. Makes heating efficient and it’s made to endure a lot of winters. Even if it’s a little bit pricier than other models, this is one of the best electric baseboard heaters that you’ll find.
Cadet Manufacturing 05534
Cadet is one of the most popular brands of heaters in America because they offer good quality products at affordable prices. The Cadet Manufacturing 05534 is not the exception: a good price paired with some nice qualities makes this electric baseboard heater a good choice for those looking for an affordable heater for a small room.
Equipped with convection heating technology, this baseboard heater is able to keep the temperature of a 125 square feet room. It works with a maximum voltage of 120V, has a wattage of 1000W and power of 3,415 BTU/H. The Cadet 05534 has some standard dimensions: 6.75” height, 2.5” wide and 48” large, it’s easy to install and it’s made in America to last.
– High temperature shut off feature. The heater will turn off automatically in case if reaches the maximum safe temperature.
– Lifetime warranty
– The design helps to amplify the surface area and funnel heated air
– Durable. It’s made in stainless steel
– Practical minimalist design, blends well with decoration
– Really quiet. Ideal for bedrooms.
– 25 gauge steel and white powder coating
– Requires a thermostat.
– The surface gets really hot, so it couldn’t be safe for small children bedrooms
– Needs to be professionally installed.
Those persons who has bought this electric baseboard heater says that it works as expected. It’s durable an reliable. Some people talks about how quiet it is, making it a perfect addition to a master bedroom. It requires a thermostat, however those are inexpensive and can be used to control a couple of units. Even if the installation fees are an extra, it’s a good inversion, because of its lifetime warranty.
It’s important to remember that electric baseboard heaters aren’t a cheap way to warm a big room. In big places, these heaters are more a backup, that helps to maintain a stable temperature, warming small rooms that don’t have heat or those where the central heat was inadequately installed. Insulation is key when it comes to take advantage of baseboard heaters.
This electric baseboard heater is as affordable as well constructed. The Cadet 2F500 operates with 500 watts and it’s made of sturdy steel. Durable an reliable, this heater will keep your bedroom cozy and nice with the convection technology, circulating the warm air. The best part? Is really quiet, so it’s the best choice for a bedroom. Kiss goodbye those noisy heaters, it’s time to sleep comfortably with the cadet 2F500.
The Cadet 2F500-1W electric heater has some standard dimensions: 2,5 x 30 x 6,8 inches, so it’s easy to place; however, it’s recommended to put it under a window for better performance. Its practical design makes it ideal for new construction, also it’s easy to install and will keep a 10×10 room nice and toasty.
– Safe. It has a auto shut-off feature, that turns the heater of in case it reaches the maximum temperature.
– Convection technology. It’s really quiet, so it’s ideal for bedrooms
– Lifetime warranty by Cadet
– Easy to install. No need for ducts or extra work. Also, you’ll find manufacturer’s video if there’s some doubt about wiring
– Durable. Made in America using the best steel.
– Affordable and well made
– It doesn’t have an integrated thermostat. You’ll need to buy one separately
– It requires professional installation. It’s not a plug in heater.
– In order to get the best performance, the room needs to have good insulation.
Most buyers thinks that this heater is pretty impressive. It’s powerful, well made and it keeps all the manufacturer claims. There are some buyers that have been using it in bigger (but well insulated) bedrooms and it works well, maintaining a comfortable temperature, even in the lower setting of the thermostat. Some people says that it’s easily mounted and not visible, however it makes a great job keeping the perfect temperature.
Dimplex North America Pc6025W31
The best feature of the Dimplex North America PC6025W31 it’s that is an electric baseboard heater with thermostat and an RF transceiver. This enables another great feature: the whole- house temperature control, all this without losing any of its power. And believe me, this is a really powerful baseboard heater.
The dimension of this heater is 60 x 2.4 x 6.6 inches, but don’t get fooled for its apparently normal size, because there is a lot of power encapsulated in this modest white heater. This Electric baseboard heater is compatible with a lot of wiring schemes, from the traditional 120 and 240 volt, to 208 and 347 volt. If you get a good electrician to make the right installation, you can get even more than 2000 watts of heat output. This means that this baseboard heater can be enough to heat a room up to 400 square feet, if it’s well insulated, thanks to its 8500 BTU of power.
– It’s made to last. Made of nickel chromium, enclosed with steel sheath, it’s rust-resistant.
– Built-in thermostat. Will let you control the temperature directly for each unit, if desired.
– Designed to be efficient. The top vent an heating element are made to offer a heat output comparable to bigger heaters.
– If you buy the wall-mounted remote control made by Dimplex, you’ll be able to control all your Dimplex heaters wiressly, via radio frequencies. Also can be controlled via WiFi, through your smartphone.
– CSA certified
– Three way wiring compatibility
– Consumes 33% less energy than conventional baseboards heaters.
– 10 years of warranty by manufacturer
– It can be a little too powerful for smaller rooms
– It’s on the pricier side
– You’ll need to call an electrician for its installation if you want optimum performance
Most buyers are just happy with their purchase. They say it’s really powerful, able to heat a big room and their controls are easy to manipulate. The price can seem higher, but it’s worthy because of all the features, power and reliability. Also, the built-in thermostat is a nice addition to keep the control. The most praised feature is the WiFi control, that allows to regulate the temperature efficiently and cutting heating bills.
Electric Baseboard Heaters Installation
Electric baseboard heaters are the perfect choice for bedrooms, bathrooms, hallways and other small rooms that don’t have any heat system. Also, a electric baseboard heater can make wonders in that chilly room or hallway need a more efficient way to keep, distribute or increase the heat in the colder season. Managed in smart ways, these heaters can cut your heating bill in half; but, before buying, take into account that it’ an inversion and could need professional installation.
Everybody says that installing electric baseboard heaters is a task that can be made by most homeowners. However, it’s important to know the basis about working with electricity. If you have no idea about or don’t feel confident about wiring, it’s better to call a professional than risking your family and home. Remember that anything that needs to be hard-wiring or that works with 240 volts, needs to be professionally installed.
The installation process of electric baseboard heaters is really simple, if you know how to work with electricity. Roughly, the steps are:
– Check the voltage: most baseboard heaters come in two voltages, 120 an 240. The 240-volt are slightly more energy efficient than 120 Volt. It’s better to check on the box, the manufacturer website, etc to be sure.
– Choose the placement of heater: Remember that some electric baseboard heathers are made to be installed under the windows because they work more efficiently that way. Also, check that any furniture or carpet aren’t impeding or blocking the airflow. Be careful, don’t install a baseboard heater under an electrical plug, because the radiate heat can melt cable or affect anything plugged there.
– Choose the placement of thermostat: The thermostat must be on an interior wall. Avoid locating it above the heater or behind the door.
– Wiring: the wiring is pretty simple because in some case is just adding a 20-amp circuit. This can be made by running a cable from the electrical service panel to the location of the baseboard heater. However, there are some heaters with different wiring options. If you’re not so sure about this, it¿s better to call an electrician. Also, some baseboard heaters just need to be plugged.
– Thermostat: Most electric baseboard heaters needs a separate thermostat that needs an extra circuit cable to the heater. If you’re installing more than one baseboard heaters on the room. Both ca be connected to the same thermostat.
– Check the wiring diagram: each thermostat and heater needs to be wired in a particular way. Always check the manufacturer’s wiring diagram. Some manufacturers have video tutorials for installing their products. It’s better be safe than sorry, so don’t be afraid to check videos or just calling customer service in case of any doubt. Wiring is the most important part.
Hot Water Baseboard Heating Systems
All baseboard heating works on the same principle: they’re installed in the lowest point possible in order to heat evenly the air in the space, a the heat naturally raises. The only difference is on the way that the air is heated. Hot Water baseboard systems takes hot water from a boiler and sends it through pipes to each heater. Each unit takes some heat from the water before send it to the next heater.
There are some advantages of using hot water baseboard heaters. First, they’re more cost-efficient than electrical ones, because it uses hot water instead of electricity. Compared with a radiant heating system, the installation cost is pretty lower; however is higher than installing electric baseboard heaters, even more if you don’t have a boiler. Hot water baseboard heaters are considered more energy efficient, but this depends on the type of boiler used, if it’s electric, oil-powered or even fueled by pellets or wood.
Another advantage is related to the constant flow of warm air, produced by the constant water temperature maintained by the boiler. However, it’s well known that these systems don’t produce big quantities of heat. This makes difficult to warm big rooms and it can take longer time to reach a comfortable temperature.
Also, as the hot water travels through the whole system an each unit takes some heat from it, those rooms that are far from the boiler receives less heat, because the water is colder when it finally arrives. Installing some flow control valves will stabilize the temperature and solve the problem, but you have to be aware of this an ask for it.
Compared with electric baseboard heaters, there is a huge disadvantage: these heater system requires regular maintenance. All internal components, such pipes, boiler an pump wears down by use and must be checked by professionals with some regularity. This is something that must be considered before choosing the best heating system for your home.